The Board of Trade member community has been its own best resource and advocate during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Over its 130 year history, the Board of Trade has led the Greater Washington region through a series of world-changing crises, including the Great Depression and World War II. Now, this organization remains committed to supporting this region’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and through its long-term economic recovery.
Check our event calendar for upcoming calls with regional experts. Past briefing calls (with recordings/summaries) include:
- COVID-19 Briefing: The Latest on the Vaccine, featuring Dr. Pooja Kumar, Partner, McKinsey & Company; Eugene Laney, Head of International Government Affairs, DHL Express USA; Dr. Lisa Lockerd Maragakis, Senior Director of Infection Prevention, The Johns Hopkins Health System; Dr. Samir Balile, Clinical Pharmacy Program Manager, Giant Food (November 19)
- COVID-19 Briefing: Higher Ed’s Plans for Fall, featuring Ronald Mason, Jr., J.D., President, University of the District of Columbia; Anne M. Kress, Ph.D., President, Northern Virginia Community College; Paul Almeida, Dean, McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University; Darryll J. Pines, President, University of Maryland College Park (July 28)
- COVID-19 Briefing: Reopening as a New Beginning, featuring David Dacquino, Chairman & CEO, Serco, Inc.; Mary McLaughlin, Senior Vice President, Beltway Region, Comcast; Blue Jenkins, President, Washington Gas; Sharon Pinder, President & CEO, Capital Region Minority Supplier Development Council (July 21)
- Lessons from China, featuring James Robinson, Global Lead, Geo-Commerce, APCO Worldwide; Al Hankins, Manager of Procurement and Contracts, Bechtel; James Shepherd, Head of Research, Greater China, Cushman & Wakefield; Jeff Astle, Managing Director, APCO Shanghai (June 23)
- State of the Hospitality Industry, featuring Jay Coldren, Managing Director, Eat + Drink, Streetsense; Elliott L. Ferguson, President & CEO, Destination DC; Kathy E. Hollinger, President & CEO, Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington; Jorge Perez, President and COO Regional Portfolio Properties, MGM Resorts International (June 9)
- Tips for Practical, On-the-Ground Tips for Reopening, featuring Janet Pogue McLaurin, Workplace Leader, Principal, Gensler; Jay Coldren, Managing Director, Eat + Drink, Streetsense; Henry Hillmann, Director of Disaster Services, Hillmann Consulting; Mark Viani, Shareholder, Bean Kinney & Korman PC (June 2)
- Three-part Series on Reopening the Region
- Part 1: The Public Health Puzzle, featuring Dr. Lisa Lockerd Maragakis, Senior Director of Infection Prevention, the Johns Hopkins Health System; Dr. Georges C. Benjamin, Executive Director, American Public Health Association; Dr. Laurie Forlano, Deputy Commissioner for Population Health, Virginia Department of Health; Fran Phillips, R.N., Deputy Secretary for Public Health Services, Maryland Department of Health; Dr. John Davies Cole, State Epidemiologist, District of Colombia (May 26)
- Part 2: Reopening Plans in DC, MD, and VA, featuring Roy McGrath, IOM, CAE, CEO and Chairman of Maryland Environmental Service; Eugene D. Kinlow, Director of the Office for Federal and Regional Affairs, Executive Office of the Mayor of the District of Columbia; Kelly M. Schulz, Secretary, Maryland Department of Commerce; Angela Navarro, Deputy Secretary of Commerce and Trade, Commonwealth of Virginia (May 27)
- Part 3: Getting Back to Business, featuring Moderator: Evan Kraus, Managing Director in Washington, APCO Worldwide; Larry Di Rita, Greater Washington, D.C. Market President, Bank of America; Cy Kouhestani, Sr. VP of Leasing & Asset Management, Brookfield Properties; Stephanie Smith, Senior Public Policy Manager, UBER (May 28)
- Getting Transportation Back on Track, featuring Tom Dohrmann, cofounder and lead of McKinsey & Company’s Public Sector Practice; Paul Wiedefeld, General Manager and CEO of WMATA; Ricky Smith, Executive Director of BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport; and Jack Potter, President and CEO of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (May 19)
- Our Region’s State of Mind, featuring Monica Schmude, President, Mid-Atlantic Market, Cigna; Dr. Steve Miller, Chief Clinical Officer, Cigna; Robin Kelleher, President & CEO, Hope For The Warriors; Dr. Marissa Leslie, System Chief of Psychiatry, Adventist HealthCare; Darcy Gruttadaro, Director, Center for Workplace Mental Health, American Psychiatric Association Foundation (May 6)
- Cyber Risks Today and Tomorrow, featuring Jamil Jaffer, Senior VP at IronNet (May 5)
- Getting the Region to Fiscal, Economic, and Public Health, featuring Virginia Secretary of Finance, Aubrey Layne; Chief Financial Officer of the District of Columbia, Jeff DeWitt; and Maryland Comptroller, Peter Franchot (April 29)
- See also: coverage in the Washington Business Journal
- The Pandemic’s Impact on Food Systems & Security, featuring Radha Muthiah, President and CEO of the Capital Area Food Bank and Margaret Rogers, co-head of Arabella’s Good Food practice (April 28)
- What’s Happening in Congress, featuring Senators Mark Warner (D-VA) and Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) (April 22)
- Impact on the Healthcare System, featuring Dr. J. Stephen Jones, President and CEO of Inova Health System; and Dr. Pooja Kumar and Gretchen Berlin, leaders from McKinsey’s global health care practice (April 15)
- Mindful Leadership and Communication in a Crisis, featuring Lili Powell, professor at UVA’s Darden School of Business (April 14)
- The Fuller Institute on our Economic Future, featuring Jeannette Chapman, Director of the Stephen S. Fuller Institute (April 8)
- Regional Business Conditions & Long-term Recovery, featuring Tom Barkin, President & CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond (April 7)
- Understanding the CARES Act, featuring a briefing team from K&L Gates (April 1)
- What Employers Need to Know, featuring Betsy Lewis, Partner at Cooley, LLP (March 31)
- Briefing on the COVID-19 Virus and Transmission, Dr. Michael J. Manyak, MD, FACS, Global Urology Medical Director at GlaxoSmithKline (March 5)
As the region’s oldest business voice, the Board of Trade has been closely monitoring and commenting on legislative action taken by state and federal lawmakers. Read our press statements:
We have also joined other area organizations in calling for bold business and government action in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Joint letter calling on Congress to provide appropriate relief funding to the District
- Joint letter from DC, MD, and VA business community in support of stimulus
Quick Guide to SBA Loans
The Small Business Administration is offering several types of loans to small businesses, nonprofits, and other organizations adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Board of Trade has produced a quick guide to help you compare your options.
Our ~300 member organizations span all industry sectors, from law to healthcare to hospitality. Many are publishing guidance on COVID-19 response based on their unique expertise. Browse our resource library to take advantage of this deep pool of knowledge.
CONVENING & COLLABORATION
Connected DMV Task Force
Jack McDougle, President and CEO of the Greater Washington Board of Trade, is facilitating meetings of Connected DMV’s Strategic Renewal Task Force. This group was established at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic to plan for the region’s long-term economic recovery and seize an opportunity for renewal. Read more about the task force on the Connected DMV website.
Virtual Executive Meals
Our executive meal series is about connecting with other business leaders in a relaxed, intimate setting, normally a great DC-area restaurant or hotel meeting room. But while we are socially distancing, this setting is your own home! Executives will have “face-to-face” conversations over Zoom.
Especially now, this is a powerful opportunity to connect with peers on the issues and opportunities facing business today. To replicate the executive meal series experience, participants will receive a delicious meal from one of our catering partners via delivery. This elevated networking is a key benefit for members in the Mid-Sized Business Leader category and above. For more information and to request an invitation, contact [email protected].