Over its 130 year history, the Board of Trade has led the Greater Washington region through a series of world-changing crises, including the Great Depression and World War II. Now, this organization remains committed to supporting this region’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and through its long-term economic recovery.
- Resource Library
- Briefing Calls
- Quick Guide to SBA Loans
- Press Statements & Advocacy
- Virtual Executive Meals
- Member Stories
Our ~300 member organizations span all industry sectors, from law to healthcare to hospitality. Many are publishing guidance on COVID-19 response based on their unique expertise. Browse our resource library to take advantage of this deep pool of knowledge.
Check our event calendar for upcoming calls with regional experts. Past briefing calls (with recordings/summaries) include:
- Our Region’s State of Mind, featuring Monica Schmude, President, Mid-Atlantic Market, Cigna; Dr. Steve Miller, Chief Clinical Officer, Cigna; Robin Kelleher, President & CEO, Hope For The Warriors; Dr. Marissa Leslie, System Chief of Psychiatry, Adventist HealthCare; Darcy Gruttadaro, Director, Center for Workplace Mental Health, American Psychiatric Association Foundation (May 6)
- Cyber Risks Today and Tomorrow, featuring Jamil Jaffer, Senior VP at IronNet (May 5)
- Getting the Region to Fiscal, Economic, and Public Health, featuring Virginia Secretary of Finance, Aubrey Layne; Chief Financial Officer of the District of Columbia, Jeff DeWitt; and Maryland Comptroller, Peter Franchot (April 29)
- See also: coverage in the Washington Business Journal
- The Pandemic’s Impact on Food Systems & Security, featuring Radha Muthiah, President and CEO of the Capital Area Food Bank and Margaret Rogers, co-head of Arabella’s Good Food practice (April 28)
- What’s Happening in Congress, featuring Senators Mark Warner (D-VA) and Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) (April 22)
- Impact on the Healthcare System, featuring Dr. J. Stephen Jones, President and CEO of Inova Health System; and Dr. Pooja Kumar and Gretchen Berlin, leaders from McKinsey’s global health care practice (April 15)
- Mindful Leadership and Communication in a Crisis, featuring Lili Powell, professor at UVA’s Darden School of Business (April 14)
- The Fuller Institute on our Economic Future, featuring Jeannette Chapman, Director of the Stephen S. Fuller Institute (April 8)
- Regional Business Conditions & Long-term Recovery, featuring Tom Barkin, President & CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond (April 7)
- Understanding the CARES Act, featuring a briefing team from K&L Gates (April 1)
- What Employers Need to Know, featuring Betsy Lewis, Partner at Cooley, LLP (March 31)
- Briefing on the COVID-19 Virus and Transmission, Dr. Michael J. Manyak, MD, FACS, Global Urology Medical Director at GlaxoSmithKline (March 5)
Quick Guide to SBA Loans
The Small Business Administration is offering several types of loans to small businesses, nonprofits, and other organizations adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Board of Trade has produced a quick guide to help you compare your options.
Press Statements & Advocacy
As the region’s oldest business voice, the Board of Trade has been closely monitoring and commenting on legislative action taken by state and federal lawmakers. Read our press statements:
We have also joined other area organizations in calling for bold business and government action in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Joint letter calling on Congress to provide appropriate relief funding to the District
- Joint letter from DC, MD, and VA business community in support of stimulus
Virtual Executive Meals
Our executive meal series is about connecting with other business leaders in a relaxed, intimate setting, normally a great DC-area restaurant or hotel meeting room. But while we are socially distancing, this setting is your own home! Executives will have “face-to-face” conversations over Zoom.
Especially now, this is a powerful opportunity to connect with peers on the issues and opportunities facing business today. To replicate the executive meal series experience, participants will receive a delicious meal from one of our catering partners via delivery. This elevated networking is a key benefit for members in the Mid-Sized Business Leader category and above. For more information and to request an invitation, contact [email protected].
Many Board of Trade member organizations have been quick to use their assets and influence to make a meaningful contribution to their community in its time of need. We are proud of their work, generosity, and ingenuity. You can read about their actions here.