COVID-19 Briefing Call: The Public Health Puzzle
May 26 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Everyone is asking the same question: when and how can business reopen? This briefing call series will explore the complex set of factors that shape the answer. Participants will gain a big-picture yet substantive understanding of what it will take to reopen business as safely and swiftly as possible.
Part 1: The Public Health Puzzle
Tuesday, May 26, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Widespread testing, contact tracing, an effective treatment for hospitalized COVID-19 patients, abundant personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline workers, and eventually a vaccine are all critical for controlling outbreaks and saving lives. A two-week downward trajectory in cases is the widely accepted criteria for beginning to relax social distancing orders. In this discussion, health leaders from across the region will explain how these puzzle pieces fit together and the research, development, and production efforts behind securing each piece, with status updates from Maryland, Virginia, and the District.
- Lisa Lockerd Maragakis, Senior Director of Infection Prevention, The Johns Hopkins Health System
- Georges C. Benjamin, Executive Director, American Public Health Association
- Laurie Forlano, Deputy Commissioner for Population Health, Virginia Department of Health
- Fran Phillips, R.N., Deputy Secretary for Public Health Services, Maryland Department of Health
- Dr. John Davies Cole, State Epidemiologist, District of Colombia