We advocate for policies and regional initiatives that make the DMV a great place to do business.
To successfully rebound from the economic shocks of COVID-19, we need smart government stimulus, consumer confidence, regulatory certainty, and other aspects of a favorable business environment. The Board of Trade is working with its members and stakeholders in the region to advocate for business and government actions that will get our economy back on its feet and charging toward a more resilient, equitable, sustainable, and prosperous future.
- May 18, 2021: Business associations from the District of Columbia including the Board of Trade sent a letter to DC Council Chairman Phil Mendelson regarding Law 23-209, the “Ban on Non-Compete Agreements Amendment Act of 2020.” The letter voices support for the amendments that would be introduced by Councilmember Silverman and provided arguments for the necessity of this legislation. Read the letter >>
- May 7, 2021: Business associations from the District of Columbia including the Board of Trade sent a letter to Councilmember Elissa Silverman thanking her for proposed changes to Law 23-209, the “Ban on Non-Compete Agreements Amendment Act of 2020,” and her stated intention to introduce legislation the week of May 18, 2021. Read the letter >>
- March, 2021: The Board of Trade joined a coalition of regional and Maryland-based organizations via the MD5G initiative to voice support for small cell deployment throughout Montgomery County. Read about this position >>
- December 3, 2020: The Board of Trade joins other regional organizations in voicing support for stimulus spending in a letter to Congress. Read the letter >>
- November 5, 2020: The Board of Trade joined AOBA and several other area organizations in sending a letter to Councilmember Anita Bonds, Chairperson of the Committee on Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization, with copies to all other Councilmembers and their staffs, on rent control. Read the letter >>
- January 14, 2021: Jack McDougle, President & CEO of the Greater Washington Board of Trade, spoke at the Maryland Economic Development Association’s 2021 Winter Conference. Watch the recording >>
- October 11, 2020: Ashish Khosla, Senior Vice President and Greater Washington Market Executive of Commercial Banking for Bank of America, authors Resilience Over Recovery: Safeguarding Your Business Ahead of Economic Downturn. Read the blog >>
- April 24, 2020: When businesses, schools, and amenities were closed across the region due to the rapid spread of COVID-19, Jack McDougle established the Board of Trade’s position on when and how local and state governments should allow for reopening in his blog, An informed, coordinated reopening is the only way. Let’s make it happen. Read the blog >>
CONVENING & COLLABORATION
The Board of Trade is a member of HireLocalDC, which is a coalition of employers and employer organizations working together to ensure that DC residents obtain DC’s “good” jobs (defied as jobs on a career pathway to a salary that can support a family in the high-cost Washington, DC area, about $65,000 a year, and offer conditions for stability and growth). Learn more at www.hirelocaldc.org.
Council of Economic Development Organizations (CEDO)
The Board of Trade hosts officials from area economic development organizations 3-4 times per year for open discussions on the region’s economic development opportunities.
The Board of Trade hosts executives and chairs of area chambers of commerce for dinner 3-4 times per year to discuss regional issues facing the business environment and opportunities for collective advocacy.